A Moxie Business Developer [BD] identifies and pursues the development of strategic relationships with partners and potential customers where the marketing agency services of Moxie can be provided. Success comes in the form of building a pipeline of business opportunities through direct and indirect customer contact and prospecting. The BD will work closely with clients to implement leading-edge, next-generation marketing and branding strategies to engage, educate and activate client target audiences. The overarching goal is to grow the current book of business for Moxie by meeting and exceeding client needs.
The successful candidate must be a consummate sales professional—experienced, motivated, and self-starting with a positive attitude, and the desire and ability to focus on new business. The position is suited to an individual who is “sales hungry” and who can utilize his or her exceptional skills to produce effective and successful results.
Working Location: Waterloo, IA – hybrid work environment feasible when meeting performance expectations.
Hours: Full-time, Monday – Friday, Regular overnight travel and occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Who Is Moxie? We’re Glad You Asked.
To say that we’re a full-service marketing agency isn’t quite enough. You could describe us as your innovation-loving, results-driven, leave-no-stone-unturned creative partner, but that’s a bit too long-winded for our taste. We prefer to keep it short and sweet: Moxie is your marketing ally.
At Moxie, we’re all about real work, real stories, and creating real value for your brand. We collaborate with you, bringing your business expertise to the table with our team’s know-how to deliver bold, original ideas that set you head and shoulders above the rest. If that means blowing up the conventional approach to get it done, you can bet we have a stick of dynamite (or two…maybe three) ready to go. That’s why our clients—from local mom-and-pops to Fortune 500s—choose us, and why they’ve been doing so for over 50 years.
If you want to make an impact, you’re going to need a little Moxie.
Responsibilities/Duties of the Job
The Business Developer is responsible for generating revenue for the assigned market to meet or exceed predetermined goals and become a market-driven solution provider for new and current clients. By doing this, one will:
- Develop new business relationships that generate new revenue for the company
- Nurture existing client accounts in order to increase depth of reach and grow revenue
- Generate leads and set appointments
- Ensure all sales opportunities are captured and explored through drive, motivation and acute attention to detail
- Actively and successfully manage the sales process: lead generation, secure meeting, present company capabilities, client discovery, present solutions proposal, close deal and transition client to the account team
- Manage and maintain a pipeline ensuring all sales administration is current
- Pitch to prospective clients through direct communication in face-to-face and/or virtual meetings, telephone calls and e-mails
- Create and be accountable for all client proposals, contracts and any additional client documentation
- Thoroughly understand clients marketing objectives, including their ROI expectations
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner.
- Effectively interact with other departments, including the account management and creative team when handing over projects, ensuring full and correct briefings on all aspects of the client and project
- Must have bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years direct sales experience, ideal candidate has experience working in an ad agency.
- Skills and Competencies
- Strong organization, planning, analytical and presentation skills
- Proven ability to build rapport and earn respect of clients
- An outgoing, confident and persuasive manner that is inviting to others
- Confident negotiator and ability to close the deal
- Sound interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized with experience and success working in a timeline driven environment
- Shows commitment to a client focused approach and performs consistently high-quality work
- Proven attention to detail, follow-through skills, and problem-solving skills.
- Understand how to sell a wide range of marketing and creative services to B2B and B2C clients
- Experience in presenting technical and marketing data to clients and team members
- Capable of hands-on problem solving, with the ability to generate ideas and solutions
- Physical Requirements
- Operation of office equipment and using technology efficiently such as computers, phones, misc. office equipment
- Visual abilities to include reading, distance vision and peripheral vision
- Travel as required of the job to clients, vendors and industry events
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers and work with team members in the work environment we’ve created.
- MAKE A DIFFERENCE: Impact our customers by making their lives better or easier. Help our friends and neighbors in need by giving back to the community.
- FIND THE FUN IN YOUR DAY: We can’t have fun without you. Connect with your colleagues, find enjoyment in your work, and don’t forget to laugh.
- PROTECT OUR COMPANY: Embrace the benefits that technology provides but always be proactive in looking for cyber security or other threats.
- PROVIDE MEANINGFUL, MEMORABLE SERVICE: By cherishing our customers and providing excellent service, you make a direct impact in growing VGM and our ESOP.
- WELCOME CHANGE: Stay curious and engage with change. Look at the future by finding areas to improve and be open to new ideas. Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- CHEER EACH OTHER ON: Root for your fellow employee owners. Support them if they’re having trouble and celebrate their successes.
- OWN YOUR OWNERSHIP: Take pride in your employee ownership. Always put your best foot forward and work with purpose.
- CREATE YOUR FUTURE: Your future is in your hands. Every employee has equality of opportunity to learn, grow, and advance.
At VGM, you’ll enjoy:
- Compensation: Highly competitive wage.
- Company Ownership: VGM is 100% employee-owned meaning employees can earn an annual gift of VGM stock equaling a portion of what you make.
- Fantastic Benefits: 401k and ROTH 401k with up to 3% company match, Health Benefits, HSA options – single to family, Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Term Life and Voluntary Life Insurance and a physician network where you reside.
- Casual Dress: VGM has a casual work environment, we call it dress for your day.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Get Connected Groups, (VGM Young Professionals, Garden Club, Women in Leadership) Volunteering, Companywide celebrations, and more.
- Work-life Balance: Paid Holidays with the Holiday of your Choice benefit, Paid maternity and Paternity leave, Foster and Adoption Assistance.
- Health and Wellness: Free Walk-in Clinic to all employees & family members regardless of carrying VGM Insurance and 24/7 on-site fitness center and free fitness classes* [All in Waterloo]
This job description reflects the general duties of the job but is not a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position. Related additional duties may be assigned to the individual Associate.
VGM Group, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training